Whoopsy:
nberry:

WTF! Those of you into small nimble cars go buy a Boxster, GT4 or Miata. Take it to the track and smell the exhaust of a proper Porsche's while your smiling teeth get soot.

Nick, seriously, got get a drive in one of the old air-cooled cars. 

I mean a proper one, not one of those junkers on Craigslist listed for cheap. 

Do a Sunday drive with no traffic, on Muholland Dirive or something similar. You will understands. 

The car is small by modern standard, the car is barbarian compared to modern cars, BUT, it's the experience. You own;t even have to drive fast.

Today, I drove up to my other house in Whistler after dinner to swap cars. I took my Odyssey, a minivan, to swap for my 3.6. I managed the trip in a lot less than 2hrs in the minivan, and I came back in the 3.6 in more than 2 hrs. (It's about 80 miles and I did have aftermarket wheels and tires on the minivan, the van rides on Continental Extreme Contact DWS, so I can take corners a lot faster than normal vans, I overtook basically every car I have seen and they are like WTF being passed by a VAN). 

I wasn't even trying to go fast in the 3.6, I could have but there is no need, the experience is better than anything else I have in my garage. 

The smell, the imperfect gearbox, the whine of the fan sound of the air-cooled engine, the fucked up ergonomics inside the car, I couldn't care less. The only thing I enjoy was the journey, the experience, the feel of accomplishment in conquering the car.

Oh, and I already have a modern small and nimble car as in the Alfa 4C.

At times it's not about the speed, it's about the 'experience'

--

Agree, it is about the experience.  One can sit in a modern car bunched in traffic but give me the opportunity to take one of the pre-war MGs for a spin on a country lane or even bumpy city streets late evening; that's the joy of motoring.  A couple of decades ago, had the privilege of having a Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica for a time, that car was special and a joy to drive.  Today's cars are mere appliances, safer yes and more convenient yes, but lacking in any visceral emotion.