Ok this will be controversial.

First, all opinions are biased by selection. I do not expect anyone who purchased an S to subjectively feel bad about that. That said, for discourse, one should be objective and not defensive.

The true S is the 3.8 X51, not the 3.8. The 3.8's performance improvements over the 3.6 are negligible both as tested and in a real world sense. For example; passing power as cited above. The 3.6 simply requires one to go a bit deeper on the pedal and higher in the rev band to accomplish the same task. Everyone knows the testing numbers and the tester's quotes and where each engine is best/is lacking.

On the street, there is no appreciable difference except one: greater low end torque. And THAT is the reason for the 3.8. It is an engine that is built for American roads and use: Stop light to stop light with pulls against American cars built for that for the purpose of straight line acceleration. It addressed the 911's relative lack of low end pull and the embarrassment by $100K+ owners getting pulled on by cars half the price (if one cares about such things - I do not).

Porsche's pricing of the 3.8 proves the point. Most support for the 3.8 is based upon the fact that several extra 'goodies' are thrown in price wise. Porsche never "gives" away anything of value (as is evident from its options list). Yet here it "throws" in extra value in the S package. Why? Because, in the real world, without the goodies, Porsche would be hard pressed to sell the 3.8 over the 3.6 based solely on either performance or feel.

I respectfully submit the 3.8 is a creation for the US market by Porsche's marketing department not its engineering department (although to Porsche's credit, its engineers were permitted to create the 3.8 X51 which is truly a different car in that it is both stronger than the 3.6 and as high revving). How else does one explain, for example, the 'lacking' design of the 3.8 cats (as opposed to the design in the 3.6) which almost appear to be an afterthought and certainly not in keeping with Porsche's engineering philosophy of extracting and wringing out every once of performance. Why not just do it right and charge more?

Now, I would be perfectly happy with a 3.8 and did not post this to make anyone fell bad about their purchase. I know there will be those of you that will automatically think this post is 'sour grapes' or some such. Whether you want to believe me or not: I bought what I bought (997T4) after careful research and consideration and for my own reasons; and, like each of you, do not need outside validation thereof. However, this post seems to indicate that the 3.8 is objectively better. I posted this simply to point out the contrary view. I do not buy that the "base" 3.8, without the X51, is in any way objectively better than the 3.6. A larger purchase price does not by itself begat or bestow primacy (as some think). These versions are so close as to be a toss up based primarily on intended usage. Which car is objectively better is certainly not as clear cut as this thread makes it out to be.

Sorry. My .02 cents.