MKSGR:
lukestern:

Also Big difference with the 100kW battery. Many (all?) of the youtube clips with overheating etc ar either 85kW or 90kW batteries and most often with pre-facelift Model S. They are rubbish in comparison. 100-models have a completely new cooling system.

Based on the significance of the limitation imposed by overheating in this video I watched I consider it very unlikely that any Tesla will be devoid of these problems if used on the Autobahn like a regular higher-performance car Smiley I would just not risk buying a car with such serious issues.

There IS a difference with the 100kWh batteries and cooling system. Why don't you link to that video instead of just writing about it? The reason why there are no videos of 100kWh overheating is because they don't do that in the same way. There is a reason why both 85 and 90 batteries are discontinued since more than a year back.

The battery never overheat. The BMS protect it from overheating and hence limits the power a bit while cooling down to lower cell temperature, but you can still pace at fairly high speeds without significant problems. You maybe don't get the full 500kW of power, instead you have 200-400kW at your disposal (depending on temperature) which is plenty enough for normal high speed driving when you maintain a certain speed. Of course it will not be a good time to try and race 200 -> 250km/h, but we all know that the Teslas are quite slow accelerating cars at higher speeds. Thats per design, with the single speed gear box. But up to 200km/h it is quick.

If you're a speed maniac that like full throttle autobahn runs all the time, the Tesla is of course the wrong vehicle. But for those who like to drive at 200km/h and below it is perfectly fine. I think this is good enough for most people.

On my trip through Germany I had no limitations by the car that I noticed. It was more the traffic that stalled me. This was last summer when I had a Tesla P100D at my disposal for a few months. I was actually amazed how smooth the trip went and I've done the same many times in different Porsches and Audis. But then I'm not fond of driving much more than 200km/h anyway and like to cruise between 160 -> 200.

Top speed for some of the coming BEV for reference. Jaguar I-Pace = 200km/h, Audi E-Tron = 210km/h, Mission E = 250km/h.