Quote:
Seattle911C4S said:
Hello.

I'm a new member and want to start off with that I'm very impressed with this forum. Reading all of the post has solidified my desire buy a Porsche. It has also made it very difficult to decide on what model to get and if I should wait for the facelift. So I'm turning to you to help me make my decision

The first question is about tracking and getting a C2S vs C4S. Is it possible and\or enjoyable to track a C4S? I had decided on the C4S cab (really like having the top down) but the dealer is telling that most people that track go with the C2. I'm not sure if he is pulling my leg because C4S's build slots are so hard to come by or if he's being honest and I will end up regretting it later. As far as I can tell it appears to be more about preference rather then capabilities and the possibility that the 4 would be more expensive to track due to the added wear of its components. Since I live in Seattle and new to tracking, I'm weighing tracking benefits (that I may not even be able to take full advantage of due newness) vs. the year round usability benefits of the 4 in our climate.

Second question is directly related to this post and the most common. Do I wait for "THE" facelift, buy a discounted 07 or get a custom Feb to March build? I'm VERY tempted to wait but the original post were saying it would arrive 1st half of 07 so I don't want to find myself perpetually waiting. I would like the car to enjoy the northwest spring and summer months so if a Geneva show announcement would mean spring time delivery it would make this so much easier. All that being said, the things that most interest me about the updates are the PCM updates, DFI and to be completely honest, I don't want to buy a car that will be outdated in 2 - 6 months either ... I ran into this with my M Roadster and it stunk for performance and resale reasons.

The third question is about interior options. Has anyone seen the aluminum look or Atlas gray finishes in person? Of course this is a pointless question if I go with the 07. As I write this, I must sound really vane but I just thought it would be fun to entertain these options.

Last question is about adaptive seats. Are they really worth it? If so, if I go with the 07, it has sports seats and I'm wondering what it takes to replace them with adaptive later? Dealer says it would be really expensive due to the labor involved but I'm still wondering if he's really just trying to get me in the more expensive customer build option.

Many thanks

As a track novice you might be even faster in a C4S compared to a C2S. With growing experience I would expect that (i) you will be a bit faster in the C2S and (ii) you will probably have a bit more fun in the C2S (more agile...).

In terms of daily-driver qualities I understand that you have a certain preference for the AWD version. I assume you have some wet and maybe winter driving conditions from time to time. If this assumption is correct I would indeed advice to take the C4S rather than the C2S

However, if you should not intend to use the car on snow/wet roads too often I would rather go for the C2S (and add the x51 kit ). The C2S with x51 is a very nice car also for track use.

The GT3 mentioned above does have a substantial disadvantage for a daily-driver: no ESP

Regarding the FL: if I were in the process of ordering a 997/997s I would definitively wait for the FL. Changes will be quite comprehensive. I would not buy such an expensive car just to suffer for 2-3 years each time I see a FL model

P.S.: "Aluminium look" has a rather cheap appearance. If I were you I would rather go for full leather or CF (if you like CF in a car).