Quote:
Grant said:I beg to differ. A 73RS is VERY predictable at the limit and VERY controllable, once you learn proper rear-engined driving techniques. Of course, it's not recommended to be tried on anything but a wide track on a slow corner to begin.

Once you've learned proper rear endgined driving techniques, you're beyond the entry level. The original question was to "develop" skill, which could mean "starting from knowing nothing," or could mean, "improving skills one already has." I dare say a car that's very controllable once you learn the proper technique is not a good starter car, though it can be a good progression car.

Quote:
Grant said:I also think that a driver who can master an early 911 will have no problem driving a Miata fast in short order, but a Miata racer may be totally out of his depth when trying a 911 for the first time

Do you have any experience with this? I learned by autocrossing Miatas initially mostly stock, and then a supercharged Miata. Though I haven't had Nugget's 911 on a track, I have autocrossed it. I did have to learn the car, but I certainly wasn't "totally out of my depth," as I placed better than Nugget in that autocross.