I think the one fact that is frequently overlooked in the debate of the dual-clutch gearbox versus the manual gearbox is that Porsche is going to present the DSG/PDK gearbox with 7-gears.

There is no indication that Porsche intends to offer a 7-speed manual, so I assume buyers will be left to choose between a 7-speed PDK or a 6-speed manual.

I am a huge proponent of the manual gearbox, as I think it provides much greater driver involvement.

However, I think cars like the GT3 cry out for more gear ratios. Anyone who has driven a 996 or 997 version of the GT3 on the track knows that the gears are too tall and widely spaced for optimum performance.

This is necessary if one wants to retain the maximum speed of the GT3 (>190 mph). Adding a 7th ratio will allow a high top speed in 7th and better spacing of the remaining 6 ratios for acceleration and track performance. It will be a noticable improvement to performance (not because of the faster shifting of the dual-clutch, but because the car will be near its engine's power peak more often).

I think this disparity will also serve as a marketing opportunity for Porsche. They will be able to show how their dual-clutch gearbox provides faster laps than the manual (with one fewer ratio), and will give customers a reason to spend the money for this expensive option.

What do you all think?