nberry:

If Trump goes through with the steel tariffs, I wonder how many cars the US will lose.surprise

Trump is playing poker right now (and surprisingly, he keeps his promises to his voters Smiley).

Also, did you know that there are higher customs tariffs for US cars exported to the EU than the other way around? Trump kind of has a point here, if we like it or not. Why should US manufacturers pay more to import cars to Europe than the other way around? Sounds fair? Funny enough, TTIP was supposed to take care of that but I think that it is dead...for now.

That whole threat with higher tariffs on cars happened after the EU threatened with countermeasures to the steel tariffs hike. So far, nothing has happened but the press, especially in Germany, makes a big deal out of it. So big, that anti-US sentiment in Germany has risen to new heights I'm afraid.

Regarding steel, well...the Chinese government is basically subsidizing their steel, so...makes sense. Unfortunately the Chinese will try to retaliate in a way or another, so let's see where this is going.

Since the WTO is involved in this and there are treaties in place, I think we all need to relax a little bit. There will be negotiations...

Now let's get back to cars...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)