Quote:
Turbo Al said:
Quote:
AAHTT said:
Quote:
eclou said:
http://www.rufautocenter.com/conversions/997_Turbo.asp

510, 550, and 600hp kits

Besides the ridiculous pricing, how can an ecu tune produce only 30hp gain (510 package) and then getting another 40 hp by adding an exhaust conversion (550 package) ?
what am I missing here? is it really possible to add 40 hp to a tuned car just by changing the exhaust/restriction?

The 997TT in stock form is notoriously "restricted" and the VTG's sensitive to subtle changes in back-pressure, so respectable power gains can be had with changing the exhaust alone. However, keep in mind that when comparing RUF's 510/550 kits, that with the move up to the 550 from the 510, the ECU programming changes with the hardware mods., so the extra 40 ponies is not merely from the exhaust mod. alone.

true, but 40 hp is a lot to get compared to just a tuned car, even if the program is different. I have a feeling that the 510 package really makes 530hp, but if they say that, they won't sell many 550 packages would they?
I have not seen any exhaust upgrade bring in more than 20hp whether the car was tuned or not.
Ruf just wants to sell the real expensive packages, that's what I think they are doing.

They would, actually, seeing how the 550 makes closer to 570-580 bhp .

What Al has said is completely correct. You can crank the boost up all you want, but with so much backpressure, it will do no good in terms of power gains. Now when you remove that restriction, things suddenly improve dramatically, since the entire system is now breathing much more freely. After all, you're only as strong as your weakest link.