Quote:
Porsche-Jeck said:
Quote:
temm said:

What hasn't been discussed is in-gear times, which are the most relevant figures for day-to-day driving IMO, where the Beemer will smoke the Cayman S thanks to its superior torque.

80-120 kph in fifth gear:
Cayman S: 6.6 sec
335i: 6.2 sec
Carrera S: 6.1 sec

According to Autocar the 335i can also do 0-170 kph in 21 seconds in third gear, try that in your Cayman

Temm, you're right about the in-gear times - just proves that there is a difference between a fast commuter car and a real sportscar. Who wants to accelerate a Porsche from 80-120 km/h in fifth gear - it should be forbidden by law
I'm under the impression that a lot of people are spoiled by the modern turbos and TDIs - they complain about the missing low end torque of Porsches because they drive them just like their daily beaters. You have to rev the Ps in order to have fun (and fun it is ) - if I recall correctly the optimum in torque for a Cayman S starts at 4,300 rpm or so.

I for one prefer the non-linear power delivery when driving a sportscar, for daily commuting at midrange speed a Turbo or TDI is very nice though (different tools for different purposes)

You're right Achim, you should never do 80-120 in fifth gear in a Porsche

And I love the way the power delivery in the Boxster (2.5) has a few peaks on the way to the redline (with accompanying sounds effects), there's one around 2300 rpm and from 5000 rpm to the redline

So the best thing is to have one sportscar and one daily driver. But, if I could have just one car, I would take the 335i (I have two kids so the answer gives itself)