trip:
Whoopsy:
nberry:

The new Tesla Roadster will turn some heads. 0-60 1.9 sec. 0-100 8.6 sec and top speed 250 mph. 

Tesla Roadster will smoke every production gas car at least in acceleration. According th Musk it has a range of 650 miles. 

Physically it's impossible to get a 1.9 sec 0-60 on street tires.

The current record, 2.2 seconds by the 918 is pretty much AT the limit of street tire traction. The Model S is not far behind at 2.23. It's not about power and torque anymore.

Anything better than those times needed to be on slicks.

--

I'll take the under (under 2 seconds) on this one.  To think the 918's time is the fastest a car can possibly accelerate for ever is a bit naive, especially considering the recent pace of tire improvement.

I am a huge critic of Tesla, but the presentation tonight was impressive.  I remain skeptical regarding whether they can execute on the new promises, but taking deposits for both the Semi and Roadster may help them squeak by until they reach cash flow break even (may never happen).

By the way the 0-100 mph time is 4.2 seconds, not 8.6.  Apparently it will do the quarter mile in 8.9 seconds.  Again, these are better figures than those of the holy trinity, (Chiron as well?).  Not to mention 620 mile range.

TO BE CLEAR - I am not convinced Tesla can pull this off, but if they do they will have earned massive respect in my book.

918, and the Model S, while doing 2.2 2.23 seconds 0-60, is averaging ~1.24g for the run. That's pretty much at the top range of street tire grip. Extra power will just spin the tires and not helping.

To do 1.9 second 0-60 needs an average of 1.44g, that's well into racing slicks territory.

This is just simple physics. Tires is the limiting factor, not power nor weight.

--