Quote:
farina said:
This week two german TV magazines have shown the car (in red and yellow) and auto motor sport will follow this afternoon.
In action the car really looks fantastic and it's a shame that some people criticize the look of this beauty.
It's the best 911 i've ever ever seen - modern and traditional too.
VOX TV: 17.00 PM

Critics will calm down as soon as they really see the car in person.
German dealers get only a very limited number of cars for MY 2005 and I suppose things won't be different in the US and other markets.
I'm pretty sure that we'll see soon posts like "where to get a 997 from without paying premium?" or "my dealer can't get me a 997 this year, help".

Back in november 1999(!), we saw the new 996 Turbo for the first time and were able to sit in it and even take pictures. The cars still had a "Erprobungsfahrzeug" sticker on the doors and the rear and we published the pictures on a well known car forum. After being able to see this car in person and even more... , we highly recommended people to order one because once they hit the streets, there will be an extremely high demand for the 996 Turbo. A lot of people accused us of being biased, if I remember right even Nick was interested in buying one and I got the first dealer 996 Turbo in June 2000, only two days after the official presentation.
I drove to South France in this car, I encountered some 360 Modena and other nice sports cars and none had even the slightest chance, especially on the nice roads along the sea from Cannes to St.Tropez. People were starring at it as I was driving a UFO, incredible.
Shortly after the first cars arrived to the US, people started to order them, some not being succesful to get one because only a limited number of cars actually made it to the US in the first year. I remember that one guy paid 50000(!) USD to get one, another one paid 35000(!) USD premium.

Both were Users of that forum and they didn't want to believe us how good the 996 Turbo will be. Well, if Porsche would pay us to be biased towards their products, we would at least be able to get a new and nice design for our forum.
And I wouldn't drive a Cayenne Turbo only.

I think people are always disappointed that Porsche keeps the 911 development moving in very slow steps.
Of course I would love to see 500 HP on a base Carrera but how many people would be able to afford one?
There will be several 997 models to choose from and I'm pretty sure that we'll see one or two surprises.
One thing is for sure: the new 997 is the most beautiful and probably most perfect (design-wise) 911 Porsche has ever built. Maybe even the last of it's kind because I don't see how a new 911 generation in 5,6 or 7 years could look much different. Unless Porsche takes the plunge and offers a completely new design based on the classic 911 shape.
Not an easy task if you ask me.