Quote:
connoisseur said:
In reading throught the post's we are all assuming that the social trends now in place will continue. True america's love affair for the car will, but how we view the automobile has changed. In the 1950's the automobile was at its peak of desirability. It represented freedom and economic progress after two decades of depression and war. Now there are many who view the automobile as a utility item. Will they view the cars of their youth with longing? Remember that in the 1950's Duesenberg was just another old car.

Point taken, but if you ask anyone from that era....

1. They never in their wildest dreams thought that any 50's iron would ever be so valuable or collectible..

2. When you look at production numbers, the "good stuff", i.e. top-line top-engined convertibles and 2-door hard-tops, power-pack & fuelie Bel-Airs, Bonnevilles, Skylarks, top-line Fairlanes, retractables, 300's, Carribeans, Premiers, Eldos etc.. were produced and purchased in relatively SMALL numbers compared to the more "basic transportation" 4-door base-model Chevs and Fords and Plymouths..

The mood and the sentiment you state for the era was indeed there... But the old habits of "conservatism" still reflected most of the car buying, and most of what you saw on the road were bland utility items.

Indeed, the styles were diverse and extremely modern for the time, and some were flamboyant.

But while people were loving the cars, and coming out of their shells, and truly embracing the optimism you spoke of, they still hadn't put two and two together regarding cars being collectible and valuable in the future... So in that respect also, it was indeed a utility item to them. A fashionable one, one that made a statement about themselves, one that afforded personality and status, but just like clothes, they were worn until they were worn-out, and then traded in for a newer more up-scale model as folks worked their way up the food chain..

You're right, I also don't envision the future for todays cars as being nearly as "nostalgic" as back then... That's why I strongly feel that the cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's will continue to be recycled and recycled, due to their nostalgia, individual and outrageous styling/personality, and their ease/simplicity to work on and refurbish...