RC:

I am surprised pedestrians actually accept this kind of show-off???

Last weekend, I had a nice drive with a buddy of mine, he drives an Aventador SV. We were at a stop light, my buddy in front of me and he turned left...slowly (according to my speedo at 23 kph)...not accelerating much (his exhaust is loud though, never asked if he did something but I rather think not...he hates aftermarket parts). One older guy on the left side, standing at the stop light (waiting to cross the street), started yelling loudly (I have my window open most of the time, so I heard it) and then running(!) on the boardwalk alongside my friend while he was turning into that road. Crazy.

I stopped in the middle of the road, it was a small road and quiet, no traffic (my buddy was already around 100 meters ahead of me) and asked that old guy what happened? He yelled at me "Ihr mit euren Scheiss Sportwagen macht so einen Krawall, ihr solltet euch schämen..." (you guys with your shitty sportscars make such a loud noise, you should be ashamed of yourselves...".

Didn't even bother to argue with that guy, you never know if he throws a stone or whatever.

I swear, neither my buddy nor me were driving fast or accelerating fast or playing with our throttle, it was a simple SLOW take-off from a stop light and and a turn to the left into a different street. Smiley Revs weren't over 3000, actually probably under 2500, so... I heard my buddy's exhaust sound from my car but it was really not loud (when he fully accelerates, it is infernal... Smiley).

So just imagine what would have happened if this guy would have been in London...he may have run over to the cars and hit them. Smiley

In my opinion, people not only react to the noise but also to the aggressive and/or exotic looks of some cars. That mixed with annoyance and envy and you have a perfect mix for disaster.

I talked to my buddy while having lunch at the local golf club (I don't play but the restaurant there has a nice terrace) and he didn't even realize what that older guy did. He actually wanted to accelerate faster but got a phone call at the stop light and he was talking on the phone. Smiley Lucky him (and me) I guess. Smiley

We discussed this before: People have become very sensitive to noise and sportscars. We also have a new law in Germany where you can actually go to prison up to 10(!) years if you street race other cars. At the same time, you get a lifetime ban for driving. This law has been the result of some idiots in their powerful hatchbacks and AMGs/M3s/etc. racing on public roads and causing serious accidents. Unfortunately the police now has the liberty to "assess" situations accordingly, so if they see me fully accelerating from a stop light with another car next to me, this could be considered street racing. Of course it would require them to prove it and it is not very likely it would have any serious consequences in the end but...and here comes the catch: Immediately after the incident and during the "investigation", the car can be confiscated(!). Meaning: In a worst case scenario, you stay without your car for a few months until this case gets dealt with in court. Not so much fun!

I am very careful now how I drive, especially where there is more traffic because police can basically do what they want now without fearing any legal consequences. They can basically confiscate my car for fully accelerating from a stop light and then apologize later. Smiley If you get my point...

So if you are driving in Germany, be careful. The police here now has the perfect tool to "assess" your driving, claim it was street racing and confiscate your car. It doesn't matter if they are right or not because your car will be with them for a while until a final decision has been made. Pretty tough.

The street racing disease started when fast and furious movie came out in 2001 and youtube vids going viral from London to Monaco  and other countries with imbecile tourists shipping their cars just to show off  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqn9kJ9gjDk

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fast-and-furious-star-paul-walkers-porsche-death-suit-settled