Quote:
Bluehinder said:
Quote:
Whoopsy said:
Next version of F430/Gallardo > 997TT > F430/Gallardo > 996TT > 360 F1

See the trend? There was no need for any one car manufacturer to make one sports car that rules them all, it's bad for business if people stop changing cars.

So who cares if the NEXT version is better? When we talk about cars it's the current version that matters and newer cars will always be better than the last generations. Currently 997TT is clearly above the F430/Gallardo crowd.

Let me see if I can get into nberry's shoes and see his logic:

In the next couple years when the current 997TT to be relegated to the also-ran like the current F430/Gallardo because of the newer version of F430/Gallardo, THAT new version will also be a also-ran when the next 911 Turbo comes out.

So, if I get his logic right, the NEXT version of F430/Gallardo is ALREADY an also-ran BEFORE it comes out because the NEXT version of 911 Turbo will be better......

Hmm, so what's the point of buying the next F430/Gallardo? They are clearly the also-ran already.

BUT WAIT!!!! There is more, it's not about the performance anymore when someone buys a Ferrari, it's about the re-sale value, performance is never a priority, it's always about re-sale value, period. So the F430 clearly is a better car than 997TT or Gallardo, 0-60, 1/4miles, lap times means absolutely nothing because Ferrari has a better re-sale value so it's better, period.

Right on, well said, totally true.

I think what Nick is referring to is the catch-up game Porsche is playing in regards to performance compared to Lambo/Ferrari. It use to be the other way around. In other words 2005/2006 the 996 turbo lagged the 430's/G car's performance and is only now w/ the 997 turbo achieving EQUAL levels of performance of the 430 & Gallardo. Shortly the new F-car will be a stronger performer then the turbo again until the next turbo comes out to probably EQUAL the level of performance again . In other words the F-car enjoys a couple of years of higher levels of performance while the old version of the turbo is still around and then the new turbo comes out and only EQUALS (approx) the F-cars performance never being in the position of dominating the F-car. While the 996 turbo was still the top 911, Ferrari beats it w/ the F430. Porsche catches up w/ the 997 turbo equaling the performance of the 430 but shortly therafter Ferrari will put a more powerful car out there beating the turbo again. Doesn't look like Porsche plans to be the performance leadership role any longer, happy instead w/ small incremental increases in power. Because of this Ferrari has leap frogged Porsche w/ more powerful performers leaving Porsche playing catch-up.