RC,

We could go on all day about the percentage of RMS leaks on the Boxster, I frequent other boards and there is a "new guy" with RMS leak every week. And the poll in rennlist was not statistically significant but alarming to say the least. Also how many miles did you put on those 996's or the other people you know? I didn't get a RMS leak till 50,000 miles so those who haven't got one are not clear of the woods... imagine waiting for the mechanics to tell you if you need a new engine or not after you had taken the car in while out of warranty? There is a saying among sportbike riders "there are those who have got in an accident with the sportbike and those that haven't had one yet"

Let me ask you this, can you think of any other mechanical failure issue on the 996 carreras or Boxsters that is more frequent or you heard more cases of than the RMS leak? If you still don't see it, it means that you are simply not looking. I suggest you visit rennlist right now and you will see two different threads of new owners with the "non-existant" RMS leaks asking about the issue just in the first page that is displayed in the 996 forum, and another one in the Boxster forum.

As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't be a problem if Porsche would take responsibility of it and extend the warranty on RMS leaks. Thats all it takes! if they haven't been able to fix the problem with their inherently RMS leak prone M96 engines. Its their responsability and independantly of the frequency of incidence too, but instead they "wash their hands" officially, and expect people to trust them on the 997? If they would just cover it out of warranty (like other makers have done with other issues), a lot of people wouldn't give a second though to the RMS issue nor the issue on the 997.