Gnil:
RC:
Grant:
RC:

Smiley The freedom to choose. Exactly. Something people don't really seem to appreciate anymore in our society nowadays.

I think one of the article's points is that we're losing the choice of an analog driver's car that focuses on excitement and involvement over specs.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

I'm not so sure...I rather think he meant that such high powered cars are pointless and took the RS6(???) as an example. Actually, the RS6 is the best example that a heavy (over 2 tons) station wagon needs power. Smiley

I understood that he says people have been asking more power and easier cars , and that's what we got ( RS6 ) but have lost the choice of car more '' fun ''  .  So I am joining Grant in his understanding .

No high performance car is really easy for drivers who are inexperienced. I think this is and always has been a misconception of modern cars. If these cars would be easy to drive fast, they wouldn't be crashed that often. Smiley 

They may be easier to control (not the same as driving Smiley) in certain situations but in the end, you can't beat physics. Just take a RS6, fully accelerate and then do an emergency braking. Do the same in a A6 Diesel with (let's say 200 hp, don't have a clue what kind of engines are available now for the A6). Huge difference. One reason why Porsche changed the throttle response on the first Cayenne Turbo because apparently a housewife kissed a wall because she pressed the throttle too hard from standstill and forgot she is driving a 2.5 tons car. Smiley

Long story short: Not people are asking for more power and easier to control cars but...marketing departments. 

Maybe I should compare it to our chancellor Merkel (sorry for mixing this with politics but you'll get my point soon): After she started to appeal to a broader population by doing less and less conservative politics, she got more votes. Same with cars: If they want to sell more cars, they need to appeal to a broader audience. To appeal to a broader audience, you cannot scare off people with cars like the F12 tdf. You build a FF. Smiley Just a stupid example maybe but...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)