Carlos from Spain:
RC:
Joost:
Whoopsy:

Touch wood, but I haven't scratch a wheel in over 10 years. I paid extra attention to curbs on parallel parking (i.e. 2 feet off the curb) and turning. 

They get chipped by rocks though. Regular wheels are painted so has to repaint. But as far as I know these carbon wheels are protected by a thick layer of urethane, like the diffuser on the underbody of my 918 and that finishing is quite resistance to rock chips. 

Potholes on the other hand are a different matter...........

Also, most carbon fiber products suffer from discoloration after exposure to UV light and tend to develop micro-cracks under fatigue loading.... I would hate to see my $15k wheels become yellowish and cracked after a year or two.... on the other hand, typical owners of these kind of cars will probably not own these cars for such a long time Smiley

Are you sure? I just recently saw a 997.2 Turbo S with an amazing carbon fiber interior (OEM) and this car was in a dealer parking lot for almost two years in bright sun. Carbon looked quite good to me to be honest. I was actually surprised how great the interior looked.

I'm guessing that is because the CF is in the interior of the car and the glass has the property to allow visible light wavelengths through but not most of the UV wavelengths, that is why you can't get a tan through glass, so the windows of the car protected the interior CF.

Yes, that's why I mentioned urethane coating instead of regular cleat coat. 

--