OK guys - hey I'm a fellow Porsche owner now woohoo
See my other Newbie thread for pics and a run down on my pick up today and the issue on tyres..
Well the car dealer selling the car (private dealer not official Porsche I might add) has LOST the 19" wheels and put 18" wheels on instead. He first asked if I would be prepared to accept the 18". 'No' was my clear answer - I like the 'spokey' look about the 19" Turbo Design, it is more classy than the standard 18" Turbo ones and finishes the car off nicely..
His next question was - "well how much were you going to pay for the new winter tyres on the 19" wheels?"
"CHF 1600 (USD 1300) for Pirelli Scorpion 255/50 R19 'N' rated and fitted" I replied.
"I will sell you my Porsche 20" 'SportTechno' wheels with winter tyres (Continental 4x4 ContactXL 275/40/20 driven 7000km) for the same amount- interested?"
I didn't know whether to accept as I hadn't done any research on 20" winter tyre options and also hadn't really looked twice at the SportTechno wheels - despite them being a much higher cost option from new they are not really my taste as they are a bit too aggressive and well 'boy-racer' for me.. So anyway, I asked 'are the Continentals fitted 'N' rated by Porsche..?'
'Yes' he replied.
We both then tried to find the 'N' written on the tyres - nowhere to be seen.
He insisted however that they were Porsche recommended so I quickly called the local Porsche dealer. 'Yes they are indeed' said the Porsche dealer, (although after me having pestered the same guy at the dealership with tyre questions four times in the last two days I think he may just be fobbing me off to get me off the line )
So (hope you are still awake ) my question to y'all:
Are the Continental 4x4 ContactXL 275/40/20 really Porsche certified? tirerack.com doesn't say so and the Porsche pricelist I have doesn't even offer a winter tyre for 20" wheels.. Nor does this website: http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/porsche-tyres-advice.html
We left it that he would see if he can source the 19" from elsewhere, otherwise he would accept a lower offer e.g. USD 1000 for the 20", then it saves me some $$. He's calling me tomorrow.. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Incidentally I was shocked when he says that the winter tyres would be ok for 15'000km in total is that really the tyre lifespan expectancy on a Cayenne? I got 100,000km out of my Land Rover Freelander (winter tyres) which I just sold..
Sorry for the long post, lots of questions but you guys are great and very supportive - I appreciate your help