Quote:
nberry said:
Quote:
thuggy said:
I keep reading things about some cars having soul, others not having it, some cars have passion, others lacking? So is a difficult to drive, unreliable, loud bordering on obnoxious, uncomfortable car full of passion and soul?

I guess if your asking you have not experienced it. I suggest it may be a function of driving Porche's. Make no mistake they are great cars. However, they are focused on efficient performance at which they brillantly succeed.

However, Porsche's are viewed by most as sterile and lacking panache. Passion and soul exist along side but outside performance. It is all about the other factors including styling, sound, communication with the car and road and yes, SPECIALNESS .

An automotive writer for the San Diego Tribune in today's paper wrote this about his drive in the 997TT

"Porsches, ubiquitous as they are in San Diego, all look alike to nongearheads and hence don't draw attention as do the flashy Italian marques. On the freeway and under a light foot, the 911 is tame and predictable, a usable daily driver."

Sorry, how is that any different than a SL63-65? Usable daily cars are not about passion or engender soul. They are about transportation albeit fast transportation in the case of the Turbo. GREAT CAR BUT NOTHING TO EXCITED ABOUT. I guess that says it all.

Nick,
You really need to educate yourself on Porsche's offerings. You keep confusing the intent of different Porsche models. That's the beauty of Porsche. There's a model for every sporting need. The purpose of the 997TT is not to be a raw pure sports car as you seem to think. Here's your first assignment: read up on the 997TT, GT3, GT3RS. Then write a one page report on the differences between each model.

I don't understand what daily usability has to do with passion or engendering soul. Usability is a function of your income. Many people who's daily car is a Ferrari because money is not an issue. The only people who drive Ferraris sparingly are those can't really afford the car and its maintainance and care particulary about resale value (the resale value of a Ferrari plummets with high mileage). There's nothing intrinsic to a Ferrari that doesn't make it a daily driver. The question is can you afford to drive it as a daily car or not. The reason you choose not to drive your Ferrari daily is not because its some special passionate car, it's because you can't afford to, as proven by your fixation on resale value. People who can afford to drive Ferraris daily don't give a sh*t about resale value.

BTW, as for Italian cars getting more looks, it's not because they look better. It's because they're more vulgar looking (Sept. 2006 print issue of EVO called the F430 Spyder vulgar looking), the same way a gold diamond encrusted Rolex gets a look of looks. You know, I can take a Honda Civic and spend $20k and body kits, paint, and wheels and it will get more looks than an Italian car. Big whoop. Doesn't prove anything except lack of taste.

edit: Nick, passion has nothing to do with exclusivity, price, or how much people look at your car. I know several Miata owners that are more passionate about their cars than you are about your Ferrari. I know that's hard for you to wrap your head around, and for that I feel sorry for you.

David