Quote:
hesperus said:
Quote:
MKSGR said:

Exactly

In addition, I could not buy a 997TT as I feel that Porsche should not be supported for their mediocre (if not worse) product policy.

It was clear from the start (at least for those at Porsche who knew the specs) that the 997TT would face fierce competition. What did they do? They introduced a car which is just plain average (in the sportscar league of course).

Same performance level as Gallardo, F430, Z06 etc. They should have offered 520hp from the start - in order to preserve the TT's history of excellence and superior performance. They not even offer a PK. The GT2 is still light years away and will most likely not come with PSM.

As things are, I am not a customer of the 997TT. Thesy lost me.

absolutely. the 964 Turbo was a beast, and virtually untouched at the time (though interestingly, it was often compared with the 'Vette ZR-1 back then, and the two ran each other quite close, at least in a straightline).

the 993TT moved the goalposts completely. there were no contemporary supercars that realistically came close.

the 996TT may not have been quite as crushingly superior, but it wasn't far off.

as others have pointed out, the 997TT is a COMPETENT effort, and it takes the notion of an "everyday supercar" another notch.

but IMO it is not the "air superiority fighter" the earlier Turbos once were...

Porsche is somewhat limited by their engine design. They need to retain a flat-6 and keep the engine light. Thus, anything over 4 litres would probably be too much (you can't get more than 600 reliable bhp out of a 3.6, so at the most we are dealing with 650 bhp). If Porsche increased powr of the Turbo to 520 bhp, the Powerkit would then need 550 bhp, the GT2 at least as much and they've pretty much maxed out the 3.6-litre engine. Increase displacement to 4 litres and you get another 100 bhp or so. Good for the 998, but no further than that. This is what the problem is IMO. With the horsepower wars slowly, but surely drawing to an end (I don't foresee even high-end cars going much past 700 bhp), it is weight which will be the deciding factor. In any case, weight reduction is the next big thing and I don't believe that even Markus requires much more than 600 bhp in his car .