Quote:
KJB said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I wouldn't say I've been too civilized with these brakes, but I'll try to "clean off" the pads next time out.

MMD,

I know there is some issue with squeal with the older PCCBs but I was hoping that has been remedied. I'm not worried about the performance, it's just that I hate the fingernails on blackboard piercing noise. Really irritating.

Really varies by car, mileage, driving style, etc...

Had two new 996TTS (w/PCCB 2.0); first was silent until 10K mis; then squeaking began and was not solvable despite various DIY approaches (as fritz suggests above)...trade-in @12K mis. Second copy was perfectly silent during 5K mis I had it before trade-in.

Had two new 997TT w/PCCB 3.0....both Jul06 build; first was initially quiet during 2K mis of aggressive use, but its VIN was subject to the PCCB recall campaign; PCCB adjustment was done per recall and subsequently PCCB began an annoying squeak/screech in varying conds (both urban and mtn twisties)...traded-in after some 3K mis...

Second 997TT PCCB was perfectly quiet (and not subject to recall); drove it some 3K mis before trade-in.

Have had several F CCM cars; all quiet during similar use durations/driving styles, but know of owners w/one-off expces as well....

Net, net....some steel/composite brakes (e.g., 65's) have squeak issues as well; but find pedal feel/ability to "titrate" braking/fade resistance/lack of brake dust/caliper optics of PCCB/CCM to be a non-negotiable must-have if one appreciates nuances of latest/greatest auto technologies....