If I had to do a lot of serious winter driving, I'd get a 4wd SUV or CUV. It just happens that if I have to head north during the winter, I'd prefer not to leave my 911S at home. Hence the desire to get some chains. Also, I'd like to be prepared by having them in the trunk if I were heading out to Arizona during the winter. They get snow in the northern part, around Flagstaff, and chains are required by the state police - they set up road blocks to stop all cars and trucks without chains.

I checked with my dealer, and they are asking $600 for a set that fits the 295/30 -ZR19's on the rear. And they can't seem to get them quickly, so I was curious as to whether they were available elsewhere or if some other manufacturer had a set that would fit and not damage the body work, undercarriage, or rear suspension components.

I couldn't find much after doing an internet search. I thought someone on this site had gotten chains or investigated getting them in the last year - the winter of 2005/06 so that's why I made the post.

Jim