Quote:
amazon said:
[...] I've heard that oonce you go for an auto, you never go back. What's your view on this?

First of all one'd have to define what kind of automatic we're talking about. With the wide range of systems, from F1-/SMG-boxes over CVT systems (used by Audi) or VAG's DSG system to the traditional automatic gearbox, which has been developed to a tremendous item by now, e.g. by ZF.

I regularly drive an automatic transmission, it didn't change my mind. I have to say that I drove automatic cars since I was 18 and got used to their up- and downsides. There are still a few boxes out that spoil all of the fun driving the car, esp. if the car is a blast to drive with a manual. This happens in the range of econocars nowadays, everything from midclass sedans upwards usually uses sufficient automatic gearboxes. It still depends what you use your car for - on the 997 Turbo I'd have a hard time negleting the manual for the automatic's performance advantage.

Bottom line, the car needs enough power to start with and has to fit the bill. A Mercedes is still the perfect car to use an automatic transmission. My 02 cents.