Over the last couple years, I have read many great reports on and enjoyed numerous pictures of cars which a number of members have shared with the forum. Now that I am in the fortunate position of collecting a GT3 from the factory, I wanted to add my own experience. This is a my story...

To say that it is a childhood dream would be a understatement. Since I can remember, I have been fascinated by cars, and Porsche in particular. My father was one of the first to drive a black 911 back long before it was fashionable and that childhood memory has fuelled my desire to own my own. I even had to the pleasure to learn to drive with one long before reaching the legal age. For me currently only the GT3 (and RS of course) captures the myth of what Porsche and its racing heritage is all about. It is raw, loud, track oriented and not for everyone. Even with PASM and other little devices, it requires attention every step of the way and makes your hart rate jump just thinking of it.

I guess some of you know what I mean when I say that I spent endless hours going over in my head what the right spec for the car is. Take the colour for example. After the marketing materials where out everyone was talking about white being the latest must have colour for the GT3 - but at the end there could only be one colour for me: BLACK!! But for some insane reason of common sense I ended up with black metallic. Same on the PCCB - is it stupid to pay so much for brakes, in particular when you want to track the car? Although journalist could not stop raving about the performance common sense won and I settled for steel brakes knowing that I would kick my self if I had to replace them for funny money within a short period of time. Instead I will rather invest the savings into driver training. That will make me go faster than any PCCB will make you stop.

The Clubsport is a must have option if you want to take the car on the track like me. That in turn made getting the bucket seats an easy decision (speaking of funny money). In my mind they are a must anyway and just look business!! The thing I tried every way to get around was not having to get them in the flame retarded materials. I never going to race the car but as we all know at Porsche the customer is King as long as he picks what they offer! I would never buy a car with out Xenon anymore so that got on the list.

And as my car will not be a garage queen and as I plan to travel to many great circuits and distant driving roads a PCM found it its place in the car. Not sure what the fuss is all about as it adds no real weight and looks way better than the CD alternative. And for once the marketing department lost the battle with the engineers, making the GT3 the only 911 where you can get the sport button without having to get that ugly, ugly stop watch on the dash! I mean really what are they thinking?! Who really uses it? So no stop watch but a cruise control. Even though I live in Germany most of the roads have speed restrictions. So that should make those parts of highway driving less risky...

When you buy a car for this much money then I think it should look its part. Hence I never understood why leather is an option. Anyway, I hate the plastic look so in goes leather and while we are at it also for the middle console.

And the best for last, there are three pedals in the car and a footrest. Why I have to pay Euro 175 for getting the footrest to look like the rest is beyond me??

Any way that is what I ordered, never even seen or driven the car before (but have driven the 996 GT3). How is that for expectations!! For the US readers that go and buy a car of the lot to avoid the wait, to you I can only say you are missing out on a great experience and a wonderful part of ownership of a new car. All I can say that this GT3 was build the way I wanted it. PERIOD!!!

So one more good night of sleep - sleep, who am I to kid!! Speaking of anticipation with my new car plates in hand I just can't wait any longer. This is one appointment where I will be early...