Quote:
SciFrog said:
Quote:
SoCalHoosier said:
Quote:
atomic80 said:
Nick,

One thing I don't get about you is..if you don't think the 997TT or 996TT is for you then why do you bother posting in these forums? I love Ferraris but I also love Porsches too so I'd be posting about either cars but from what I've seen of your posts, you seem very negative about P-cars. I'm just very confused about what your motivations are.

I believe Nick's reason is the same as mine... which is hoping that enough potential buyers will agree (with our opinion) that Porsche will have to do something about it in the near future. If you haven't noticed, Porsche seems to be gouging its customers but is being overtaken in the performance department. Not exactly something to be happy to look forward to in the near future.

Sorry but I missed the part where Porsche is gouging customers with the 997TT which has equal or better performance than a F430, for $60k less at MSRP (and $100k if you haven't slept with somebody at a F dealer)?

How about Gallardo and Aston Martin and Bentley?
Now who would be crazy buying these cars?

I think the 997TT is a good bargain for the current price, sure the Z06 is better value for the performance... The R8 might be more an issue for Porsche, but let's wait until someone actually drives one.

I understand EU prices are not as dramatically apart though.

Porsche gouging isn't so much about wrote comparative statistics. In terms of performance, the 997TT is a great value compared to F430/Gallardo.
However, that's not the issue:

The accusations towards Porsche price gouging really stem from Porsche homogenizing their production line in order to reduce their production prices in their own economies of scale. Big difference between 997cs2 and 997TT? Technically yes, aesthetically no.

It's not the product as a whole, rather the product philosophy. That philosophy spills out into things such as the bumps in performance incentive packages (not happy with the Turbo's performance? Get a Turbo S or an X50 or a GT2. Not happy with the pedestrian sound of the Turbo? Don't worry, the PSE will come for a price etc etc), the product placement structures (the Cayman's underpowered delivery in order to avoid canabalizing 911 sales, thus producing an inferior product) and the lack of commitment to customer needs (hardcore track users who require a lack of sunroof on 997 GT3s/RSs and the reluctance of PAG to do crash testing on 997s in order to save money, thus giving you a track car with a sunroof).

It's antithetical towards a true-bred motorsports company, but that's the evolution of a homogenized capitalist corporate structure. I understand commitment to shareholders, but commitment to your base of purists is equally important. Once you lose the base, it all comes crumbling down.