I would use the wheels, as the front control arms are not very sturdy-looking, not designed to take a tug in an odd direction like that. As Throt said, you shouldn't have a hook or ring or clasp anywhere near the rim itself... just nylon strap. If the gear you currently have is not conducive to this type of tie-down... that means you go out and buy the right stuff, it doesn't mean you find some other sketchy method to utilize the stuff you've got. I keep a pretty wide selection of fittings and frame-hooks and straps and nets in my trailer, and on my shop shelf, so that I'm never caught with my pants down with any car. When my dad picked up his Ford GT, we had to buy new straps for the rear wheels, because they were so damn wide!!! Also, it doesn't hurt to slip a soft terry-towel between the straps and the wheels to eliminate chafe damage.

Tie down all four corners... I can't overstate how many people I've seen trailering their car to save it from road damage and/or grime.... and they wind up damaging the buhjeesus out of their car due to using a seedy trailer, seedy tie-downs, careless attachment, cheesy and inadequate tow vehicle, etc.etc... Trailering is serious business, get the right stuff, or otherwise just drive it...