Have to say its impressive and I drove it back to back against a 997. The 997 had more urgency (but nowhere near Pounds20k worth) and sounded brilliant but the Boxster sounded almost as good (far more aggressive than the 280bhp unit) and at the top end pulled almost as hard. Low down it was noticably less powerful but the chassis balance was as inspiring as ever - it felt small and lithe, whereas the felt 997 cumbersome (I have owned lots of mid engined cars so perhaps this isn't totally fair on my part). Also, it seemed fun compared to the 997, which somehow struck me as too sober.

In conclusion, I much preferred it to the 997 because the chassis is so much more to my liking and the engine only slightly less inspiring. Against the Cayman (which I drove a couple of months ago), its not as precise but at Pounds4000 less for the same poke, it makes a very strong case for itself. I honestly think its the best value Porsche in the range but I'm not sure if that's enough against the Cayman's handling. At least I now know that my next Porsche is going to be mid engined....