I think you are confusing the 812 with the F12. Since I haven't driven both (812 or 720S), it is difficult to make my points.

I assume(!) Ferrari has improved 812 chassis/steering and the very powerful V12 n/a engine is certainly a treat (it was in the F12, so why shouldn't it be in a more powerful and improved version in the 812?).

Yes, the 720S may feel lighter and more nimble while driving it but it is the whole package which counts. I just cannot get warmed up to the idea of another turbo charged engine. For my driving purpose (weekend toy car, mostly country/mountain roads or rarely tracks/airfields), a turbo charged engine isn't really fun, especially without AWD. I know that McLaren offers excellent TC setups (something other manufacturers could learn from...) but a RWD bi-turbo charged car still has traction issues in certain driving situations and the increased power of the 720S won't help here. Also, the sound...you like it stealth but I prefer to hear the engine scream. 

My favorite is still the Huracan Performante but that enormous wing puts me off a little bit (yes, seriously). 

The 812 is one of the last n/a engines on the market in such a car and I think that 800 hp in a n/a V12 engine which revs up to 8500 rpm make up for the additional weight and the somewhat less exotic exterior of the 812.

In the end, I think it really depends on personal preferences and of course financial considerations. While the 720S may be cheaper than the 812, in the end, resale value can be higher for the 812. Especially if McLaren decides to put more attractive models in a similar price/performance class on the market. Even worse: What happens if McLaren decides to offer a 620S or whatever, some sort of 570S successor with 650S performance for under 200k?

I wouldn't rush into things right now...too many new models are showing up. Unless you have the financial freedom to not care about resale value or whatever.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)