Quote:
VKSF said:
Quote:
fritz said:
Am I the only one who thinks that when VW and BMW split up the Rolls Royce and Bentley marques, Bentley turned right and has not looked back since then, whilst Rolls Royce turned left and immediately got lost?

RR seemingly went more for the rapper wannabe crowd than did Bentley....but my sense is both RR/B have underwhelming sales and are on a downward sales trajectory, despite the enormous wealth creation of past 7 yrs....

Prob a strategically weak game to market "fashion-centric" $150K+ cars, since most guys who can afford $150K+ cars aren't into either "fashion" or "advertising"...ironically, even most of the "suits" (and capitalist-owners) in the media/entertainment business tend to drive 2-3 yo, dusty blk/silver SL/S/CL's; live in modest houses in sleepy, low-profile Brentwood/Palisades; and wear cheap, off-the-rack suits from NeimanBH...but their lifestyles prob wouldn't be very appealing as part of a rap video/lifestyles of the supposedly rich and/or famous video....

So just how big is the combined rapper plus rapper wannabe market?

Seems to me the new generation of Bentleys have some intrinsic value if just measured purely as automobiles, whilst the current Rolls Royce and Maybach models are totally dependant on being perceived as being a hip fashion item to sell at all. Which would mean that if they are perceived to fall out of favor among the fickle butterflies who think of themselves as trend-setters, then ........................

PS: It is only remotely relatred to the above, but ..........

A few weeks ago I passed a Maybach limo on a few occasions which had street-parked overnight in a "non-affluent" area. Since it was in the area of the Daimler Chrysler factory, I guessed an employee had got to drive a company car home a few times, since nobody else around here seems to be buying the darn thing.

Anyway, long story short, I caught myself thinking on a couple of occasions on seeing the chrome radiator grill that I was approaching some new Kia or Hyundai model which I was not familiar with. Don't think that that was the kind of perception that DC was hoping for .