W8MM:

This is exactly the kind of car that captured my interest as a teenager -- before I discovered sports cars and Porsche.

I have to say that a very "American" type of fun is drag racing.  That's why Tesla has so much purchase in the USA.

Mike

That was exactly my experience as a teenager as well.  I had a 69 Z28, which was well equipped for road racing, but my dominant racing interest was drag racing.  I think there are a couple of reasons for drag racing's popularity in the US.  The geography of much of the US is flat plains with long straight highways and relatively low population densities.  When I was in high school almost every little town had a quarter mile drag strip marked out, with paint, somewhere not too far from the city limits. Unsanctioned races were not unusual.  And even sanctioned drag racing was fairly common with many cities having a NHRA sanctioned track.  There was just not much opportunity for road racing, legal or otherwise.  If you were interested in going fast, drag racing was the only game in town.