nberry:

I really don't understand the obsession with weight among amateur drivers. I understand it for pros who making a living driving but a run of a mill driver? Come On! You really need an inflated ego to strip down a car so you can go around a track two seconds faster. It would be like doing the Ring in 8:05 instead of 8:10. Is it really something to brag about?

Weight is an important concept among amateur drivers who spend lot of time on race tracks. More weight causes more tire wear, more brake wear, and more suspension wear.

And it's not only about the wear rate, also durability of the car. The lighter the car, the longer it takes for overheating of above mentioned parts, for example.

A pro driver can do one fast lap with a heavy car but go and drive the same heavy car as an amateur for a track day and you gonna end up in problems. This is the norm on any track day. I am not saying 60 kg is anything critical, but the less weight the better. And when you speak about lap times, I think everyone would be happier with a car that does a 8:00 lap and weighs 1500 kg than with a faster but heavier car that does 7:50 lap (before overheating the tires...) and weighs 1800 kg.

Great example (from 10 years ago, when the GTR did not have any updates), would you drive a 997 GT3 or a Nissan GTR as an amateur driver on race tracks? That's an easy pick to choose the lighter and slower car...

--

996 Turbo / +150hp & -150kg, 7:15 Nürburgring BTG so far...

Granturismo S MC-Shift / Daily driver with THE sound