I'll try to find you a couple of sites. Most of it has to do with the WAY they finish the natural leathers. I located the company (they're in Austria) who provide the leather to Porsche. The point is, very little (I think they said 5%) of the total hide production is reserved and processed as the naturals. All the rest get a different treatment.

Do a google search, too, on aniline finished leather.

The P factory today does SOME of that as they literally SCAN in the hide and label it, highlighting into the computer all the positional information about that particular hide. They then program their hihg pressure water cutting guides to cut out the bad stuff to the max extent possible. I suspect with the premium stuff they are even more discriminating.

There IS a reason for the added expense for the natural and for the term "natural" leather. If you get a chance try to sit in a car that has either of the natural lether interiors. I believe the terminology is "Protected" vice Aniline" leathers. Most of the "protected" leathers have been surface sanded while the full aniline leathers have not are are the premium hides.

Dan