It would be a tragedy indeed but I think we all knew this day will come eventually, didn't we?!

McLaren was clever: They knew n/a engines have no future, so why bother? Instead, they gave customers excessive power, a love to details, exotic looks and extraordinary performance. Probably the reason why their business works, considering the tough competition.

At Audi, there are currently two fractions regarding the R8: The developers who want a more aggressive looking R8 with a sportier setup and the management who wants to keep the R8 the way it is...or remove it completely from Audi's model line. There is still the rumor that with the introduction of the next generation (using Porsche's sportscar platform), the R8 will be history and only the Huracan and "960" remain. Porsche won't use a V10 for sure, even if their V10 in the Carrera GT was pretty sensational.

To paint a picture how tragic the situation is right now for the R8: In a license plate region with around 400k people, I have the only R8 V10 Plus Coupe customer car. There is only another new V10 Spyder. The remaining two(!) R8 registered in my region (same license plates) are dealership cars.

So I drive the only new R8 here, which is a real tragedy. In comparison, there are five customer registered Huracan and three Aventador. This is so sad...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)