SciFrog:

RC, I dont think you will buy back your car, there will be something better that tickles your sense by then...

R8 failures?

- same mildly boring design as the first gen

Actually, I like how the R8 looks. Smiley

- mildly boring interior

I prefer to call it "clean". I actually like it a lot but I also love the interior of the new Huracan Performance with that composite carbon material stuff.

- no rear seats

Not needed but I get your point.

- castrated spider version (no plus)

Plus is coming this June to Germany (later to other markets I assume).

- Audi badge

True.

- MSRP 30% too high as shown by cheap leases

Probably true but the R8 is basically a Huracan in Audi disguise and the Huracan is already 13k EUR more expensive (base price). 

- terrible resale values

True.

- too many ricer liveries with lots of contrasting colors and cheap black wheels

Mostly first generation but second generation buyers, especially in the US, seem to have this tendency too.

- performance not special enough in today's landscape (think Performante and McLaren)

Similar performance as 991.2 Turbo S, Huracan, 12C, 458 Speciale...not that bad in my opinion but like Porsche with the 911 Turbo S, they didn't really made an effort, I agree. 

That's probably enough to eclipse the fantastic chassis and V10 engine. You can buy a slightly used 488 or California T and 3 years down the road it will cost you the same or less...

No, it isn't. I would never exchange the R8 vs. a 488 or California T. I could get weak when it comes to a Huracan Performante or a facelifted Aventador SV (if it really gets a DCT but I doubt it).

The truth is however: My R8 is a bargain (lease) for what it offers, so money played a huge role in my decision, no doubt about it. Not sure I could really afford a Huracan for example, which has a much higher lease and maintenance cost.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)