nberry:

Nick, do you think when the excitement of the initial driving experience passes, you will be driving the car regularly? Or is this an investment car?

Any old Porsche Classic right now is an investment grade car, especially with my 3.6's condition. 

Having said that, investment is not my priority, I do plan on driving it regularly, actually come to think of it, I think I will drive the 3.6 more than the 911R when that car comes home.

The 3.6 is simply the better car experience wise. it has to be man handled, but it will also bite, taming it gives great satisfactions.

Yes it is a lot slower than the 911R, ergonomics are bad and technology is ancient, but now that I had some seat times in both cars, I came to a conclusion this morning.

I found that the 911R lacks a soul.

It is a better car in just about any way how one measures it, faster, bigger, more agile, safer, easy to drive, etc. But, it doesn't 'talk' to the driver like an old car does.

Shocking conclusion, contradict pretty much every reviewer on the planet. I know. 

There is no denying the lofty redline on the NA engine in the R that sings to the driver, a delightful note, but that's just about the one saving grace for the 911R.

When I take out a manual car, which I will have 2 now, means I am not planning to go 'fast' that day, so the extra pace the 911R has is pointless. If I want to go fast, I also won't be taking the 911R, there are 3 other faster cars in the garage right now. The 911R is stuck in no mans land. 

AP tried to go back to old school for the 911R, to bring back driver's involvement, in that measure, it failed. It is a modern interpretation of Porsche's classic cars, but it is not a replacement. 

I was planning to add a 930 Turbo, 1989, but now I think I am gonna go look for a Speedster instead. 

--