Sorry that happened to you. But you did what you had to. No choice in the matter it's your duty as a husband to protect your family period. Not trying to sound macho or anything but I started Martial Arts training in 2001. Within a year I was fighting competitively. By next summer I'll test for my Black Belt in mixed martial arts (MMA). It's way too complicated a theory to explain here but with the right training/school can help you get out of situations like this without having to hurt somebody. I'm sure everyone has heard stories of someone punching someone else in the face in defense and the person winds up falling and hitting their head critically injuring the person and worse. You have to be so careful nowadays. Even if something like this where never to happen to you again it's the single most healthy thing you can do for your body & mind. But unfortunately that's the world we live in and it's so important imo to be prepared for anything especially now that I have a wife and 2 children to protect. Good luck, very happy no one got seriously hurt.
You should be proud of yourself.