Quote:
VKSF said:
Quote:
fritz said:
Quote:
svtrader1 said:
Quote:
fritz said:

It's my impression that, to a certain extent, both Porsche and Honda share the philosophy that "form follows function".

It's just a side air vent, not exactly rocket science here. It's more about form following the bottom line. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Funny you should say that. I do tend to think of aerodynamics as being one branch of rocket science.

Examine a 430/612/575...even casual inspection reveals many "cheap"/cheap-feeling touches, incl door pulls, door locking mechanisms, various buttons/switchgear, etc.....and, perhaps most interestingly, F decided to "save" its limited, costly first-gen side/head airbags just for the 100/yr 599s, rather than the other 5000/yr 430/612s.....

Does anyone have an idea of how many parts the 997TT shares with the 997, Cayman and Boxster?

RC, there is no doubt it is one fast car. The best way to describe the 997TT is "fast transportation". Nothing more.

Considering you have never driven the car, why do you think you can describe the car better than anyone else. You say, "fast transportation, nothing more." Autocar, a respected car magazine describes it as "The best sports car on the planet period." Hmmmm....trust the biased and unfounded opinion of Nberry, the one person who probably hates Porsche more than anyone on this board, or the opinion of an unbiased automotive journalist. Tough decision. I don't understand why people are saying the car is dumbed down. The reviews so far have praised the car as the best sports car in the world, and all but one have said it is fun and exciting to drive and Autocar says the back end will step out easily with a bit of throttle. If this car bores you you either don't have a pulse or aren't driving it hard enough. I will cite again the article in which the journalist thought it was somewhat dull until Walter rohl took him through a single lane road around a curve at the ridiculous speed of 138 mph. This woke him up and he later wrote "if you drive it right it will rip your head off." Sounds pretty exciting to me. Yes the exhaust note is pretty bland. If this is the only way you judge driver ecitement than you are a poser not an enthusiast. I am betting most people who buy the car will leave it stock, but those of us who apreciate the tune of that beautiful boxer six will install aftermarket versions. Every car has flaws and the 997tt is no exception, but the words perfect and best keep coming up in its reviews. Also, I have never before seen a review of any car in which they deemed it the best sports car in the world. I think people should stop nitpicking until they actually drive the d@mn thing.