RC:
Carlos from Spain:

There is no chance the 640HP STOCK Performante that will be sold to the customers is going to do a 6:52 in the Ring,  not even close, if using a prototype engine, a team of engineers tweeking suspensions and setup specifically for the Ring, using especifically deloped R compound tires for the Ring lap time, and so on is not cheating then... the video discrepancies is just the icon on the cake. They got their headlines in the press though, most people won't even realice the lap time is unrealistic, as they don't get past the headlines, so its worked for them.

Let's do some math: Sport Auto did 7:28 in the regular Huracan with Trofeo R tires. Huge ABS issues, which probably costs the Huracan 2-3 seconds time (according to last Sport Auto Huracan Performance test-drive, the ABS issues are gone). So if the ABS is OK now, we can substract 3 seconds from the 7:28 time, equaling 7:25. Now take the new Trofeo R tires. If they are really that good, I think we can safely subtract another 3 seconds off the time. 7:22.

Now let's take into consideration the 45 kg less weight, the 30 hp more and the slightly faster shifting times of the newly programmed shifting system. Another 2 seconds? You bet. 7:20.

According from what I learned about the active aero, this is a new revolutionary system (apparently all car experts seem to agree after Lamborghini published the details). 5 seconds faster? If the car really produced the downforce it needs in curves and the drag it needs in certain high speed sections, I think that 5 seconds are very conservative. 7:15.

7:15 in the Sport Auto Supertest, maybe even something close to 7:13 or 7:10 (if I am optimistic about the improved chassis and steering setups).

The 918 did 7:13 in the Sport Auto Supertest.

So yes, I think it is possible that the Huracan Performante did 6:52 in the hands of a Lamborghini test-driver and probably a perfect setup for the Nordschleife but I also think that even if Sport Auto reviews the Huracan Performance at  anything below 7:15 in autumn, the Huracan Performance will be a spectacular car.

If you think I took too many seconds off...the Nordschleife is over 20 km long. This is not your usual race track. I was conservative with my assumptions.

Like I said before: We should stop speculating until we see the first reviews. Same goes to the AMG GT-R we were talking about. I am willing to give every car manufacturer the benefit of doubt.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I have little doubt that the Performante used in the fast lap achieved that lap, I don't think they would be stupid enough to cheat with the video, if anything its something minor, but the reality is that that Performante used has nothing to do with the one customers will drive of the dealership lot, the tires wont be trofeos developed for the ring but rather corsas, the engine will be a production one, the chasis/suspension setup won't be the same, etc... what people are crying foul about is that they have strayed too much from the the stock production car in a marketing exercise to make the headlines with a nurburgring lap time and consequent fake exposure for their car. The reason people don't like t is that it going to far perverting the real use of the Nurburgring lap times. Mercedes is in the same boat with the GTR, Nissan started it.

As to the 918 lap time, you can't really compare it now can you, don't know what lap time the Performante will achieve in the supertest today but I have absolutely no doubt that if they test a 918 on the same surface (don't know if the supertest 918 lap time the ring was before it was re-paved) with same tires, and same conditions will beat the Performante by a significant margin, there is no comparison. No amount of marketing make-up can make the Performante a supercar like the 918, McLaren P1, etc its in another class lets be realistic.

My guess on the Performante Supertest lap time? 7:20 if they use it stock PZero Corsa tires the production car comes with in reality and the car supplied is not a ringer.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS