Grant:
Carlos from Spain:

Christian, I think you would be making a mistake if you go for the 991R.

Consider that while the 911R has a lot of hype right now, it does not tick the right boxes for you in two very important aspects, it has a manual box that is slower and shorter geared not intended for acceleration or autobahn, and has no rear seats so you won't be able to enjoy with the family nor will your wife if she grabs it. She likely won't like the car.

Carlos - I think you are confused on one aspect.  The 911R is the best NA Autobahn 911 that Porsche has ever made.  It's geared for 323 kph (201 mph).  Less aero drag than GT3 and RS, with 500hp.  Should be geared perfect for high speed!  Acceleration will also be excellent - no launch control, so maybe not a great drag racer.  But as the lightest and most powerful and most torque of any NA 911, it will be very quick once under way. Smiley

Thats precisely why I don't preffer it for autobahn, less drag due to less downforce will give more top speed but sacrificing high speed stability, the most important thing you want in the autobahn, autobahn driving is not about absolute top/max speed but safely driving at high speeds. Also for that type of driving I would prefer the fast, smooth and effortless PDK than the 6-speed manual. Just put the two on the high speed nurburgring and see the lap time difference.

The 991R is perfect for twisty roads and suchSmiley but for autobahn I would take a GT3 any day Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS