SciFrog:
RC:
olli:

Christian, do you think that the ominous "other " R type model could even include a convertible, so basically an open top GT3 with MT and without wing? 

If Porsche is clever... I do not understand why they think GT3/RS owners would mind if Porsche uses the same tech in other cars. 

So far, I only have confirmation for the 991.2 GT3 and that third model is just a rumor which has appeared after the 911 R presentation. It would be amazing to see the next GTS with 911 R tech but I doubt it. The new bi-turbo charged 3.0 l engine is good for up to 500 hp, so why not use this one for the GTS?! So I assume that Porsche may plan a more regular 911 model with 911 R tech (but I wouldn't have too much hopes about those extra features like magnesium roof, carbon fenders/front hood, all the other light weight stuff, etc.) but I wonder how they could call it? 911 R? I doubt it. 911 RS? Wouldn't this name devaluate the 911 R? Maybe 911 GT? Would make sense but then, wouldn't the GTS actually be sportier (name-wise)? Difficult to say. I bet we are going to learn more over the next couple of months...

911 R Spyder

911 GT Spyder

911 GT3 Spyder

911 GT

911 Spyder

911 GTC

All the above with Targa if they come up with something else for the roof?

Many names to choose from.

RC, on another note, the R is a step in the right direction but it is not the car you want. You want PDK, no wing and back seat, if it ever happens you also want convertible. And even then Porsche might make another car you really want (a better turbo S?) and that you could drive and lease without thinking too much about it. Your wife might be very wise.

I'm afraid you are right, I would love PDK and back seats in this car. Yes, a convertible would be nice as well but not a must. Actually, I want a 911 Turbo S with a proper sound and without the stupid wing. Smiley Smiley

I always worry when I see people plunk huge money (as % of wealth) into an asset like a car. A car can be damaged, stolen or burn to the ground. Even worse it could be partially damaged and a repaired car would be worth much less (spend 4 years going through an insurance battle for a yacht, trust me it is always worse than you think in the end). Leases seem to be a good fit for you, monthly controlled cost, no resale risk and you even seem to get better price than paying cash, and you fill your desire to always have the latest tech or toy...

I cannot and will not buy a car as an asset. I could have done that with the 918 but I wasn't crazy enough. Now my financial situation is complicated because I didn't plan for any new toy (told you guys, won't throw money out the window anymore after my 997 C2 GTS Cab, Panamera Turbo S and 991 Turbo S "adventures"), so everything went into certain investments. Which is good in my opinion. Leasing the 911 R would only make sense if I get rid of the GT500 and the GTS. Not sure I am ready for that. Yes, I could drive to work in the 911 R without the stripes and decals, I could even wrap the car in black foil, so nobody realizes what it is. However, do I really want to do that? 

Now I am awaiting the lease offer and I will do my calculations afterwards. Also, it is very likely that if I get this car, all my called-in favors will be gone...if you get my point. Not sure if I want this, who knows what amazing toy is going to come along the away and I cannot get it then?!

So right now, I do a lot of mind games (involving you guys and your feedback really helps, thank you!!!) because I really love this car but in the end, I think I am going to pass. Too much "sacrifice" involved for a car which isn't 100% perfect for me, well...not even 90%. Not worth it I'm afraid. Stil...I always wanted a Carrera with GT3 tech and this dream won't fade away but maybe Porsche will do it again at some point...or finally offer a wing delete option for the 991.2 GT3. I would get this car instantly. I hate wings. The only car I would buy with a wing would be a GT3 RS (I know, I know, it sounds weird for someone who doesn't like wings but the RS "deserves" the wing, different story).

Thanks again for everyone's input and feedback, very very helpful. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)