this fascination with what the new R represents compels me to add a nicely maintained , low mileage last of the he-man " no ABS /no air bags / no power steering " 911s like my first one ...a new '87 triple black Targa ...I want a 1989 G series 911 with updated valve guides and 993 head studs ... I 'd be set for a BETTER , imo , sunny weekend morning driving experience than an R on my favorite local canyon road for a quarter of the price ...I say that because  real " point A to point A " DRIVING TIME will be the same ( who cares about total distance when just driving a loop for a set alotted time ) but with twice as many pleasurable shifts and probably 10 x as many redlines ...i.e.,  and with the older car, I can use its redline sanely on a public road in 4 of its  5 gears , esp third gear and with more feel in the long -missed unassisted steering ...THAT to me is genuine retro european ethos sports car driving : pegging redline gear after gear in a roaring low tq high rpm motor to access its power band but still new and plentiful enough where it is a guilt free driving machine , not a sudden "too precious "portfolio  investment object like older 60s and 70s ones and the currently trendy 993 ( which I had and like the 964 before which I also owned  , were both BORING  transitional year drives..the former engineered in the years they were near bankruptcy and the family came THIS close to selling itself to Toyota and felt like it .

--

2016  991 Carrera GTS  " PCA 60 "  Club Coupe       orig owner ; 1 of 60