bluelines:
JoeRockhead:
Gnil:

Or because they had to pay a 40 euro sticker/tax that allows you to drive for a whole year on the highway Smiley 

Don't you also pay 0.75 CHF per litre in fuel taxes in Switzerland? Seems the 40 Euro sticker is a bit of a cash grab, but I guess the populace over there doesn't mind being screwed over in that fashion?  SmileySmiley

I was just about to sit down with a single malt and a fine cigar to polish my Swiss gold bars in front of a fire lit with CHF 100 bills. Fuel tax? Pfff. No one cares around here. It is like small change. Throw away.

Yes, you are about right about the petrol tax in Switzerland, but it is even 10% higher in Germany and France, and 25% higher in Italy. Only Austria is about 10% lower.

I don't mind paying for the sticker, I do however think that it is a stupid way to pay. For Swiss registered cars they could simply send you a bill to pay and then save printing and distributing all those stickers. Only foreign cars would then need the sticker.

We were passing through on our way to France from Italy, and spent one night in Bern. I was in a rental car, and just couldn't be bothered taking the time to find one. Seems like an antiquated way to go about it and doesn't exactly promote tourism from folks that pass through once or twice a year, but I accepted the risk and didn't get caught. I hope the statute of limitations has expired now that I have confessed. Smiley