macca993:

Peter. Congrats on the car. I think we have been waiting for this day for 2.5 years now. First almost the GT3, then the 458, and now the RS.

Im really sorry to hear your wife does not like the car. I can make a suggestion. My wife is 6" and has spinal fusion. The seats were her biggest concern (particularly she wanted heated). I tried the P11 one piece  bucket seats and they are not as comfortable for long trips IMO as the folding bucket GT2 style seats which can also be ordered for the car and which come with heated element. I even ordered the Gt4 with the older style GT4 bucket seat because its better for long travel and for me on the track it does not push my helmet as fat forward from behind as the one piece bucket does. In the Cayman the flipping function is super handy to access the rear luggage rather than flipping the rear lid and walking over. Also Recaro made the GT2 style seat and it wears very well over time, very strong design and the leather does not gather or go shiny or wear on the seams. With the new LEAR built one piece there are already complaints to the dealer about the wear characteristics. So maybe look to buy some used stock seats (there should be many on Ebay - this would be the cheapest option) or if you want some folding seats the look at GT2 bucket which will fit the style of vehicle well. Just some ideas.

All that said, this is really a car to be used on the track. For your type of use I must confess this is the wrong car. My wife is about to embark with me on a 5000 km journey visiting 5 race tracks in NZ but I must say its a very rare lady that will do that. I must also confess that I drive much faster and enjoy the car much more when she is not a passenger hence I do Targa (tarmac rally events) in NZ each year without her. 

If I understand your lifestyle properly you need something that is sporty, can handle winter and summer, is elegant and comfortable for 2 people and luggage for up to 3000km on a variety or road conditions. You would rather not have compromises with R compound tyres or highly strung engine. Lets face it the RS looks a bit OTT for a weekend tourer. I honestly think you are on the right track with the 488. I wouldnt even bother with the hardercore version, just get the 488 and love it.

The RS may be a false start for you but its a very good position to be in. Your Ferrari dealer will give you MSRP+ trade in if he is half smart or at the very least you wont loose a cent and will likely make money.

Peter. Feel that I know you after all these years. Whatever you decide will be right, great news is you have time and will not loose money. I know your heart wants one of these GT oriented cars, but trust me (and I only use my cars fast on road and track) that I would myself not own a GT3 if it werent for my obsession for track work.The GT3 is much more subtle design than the RS and just passes the wife test but if I didnt go to the track i would buy a 991 GTS or similar. The 488 may still be the perfect ride for you but at least you can have some fun while you wait....:-)

mark,

thanks a lot for your well-meaning words. and of course, as (almostSmiley 21) always, you are right. but unfortunately the GT3RS virus has struck me and the only cure is to get the car and see. my wife has meanwhile agreed to give it another try (i offered to buy her a BMW M2 - giving up my strict one car policy - if the GT3RS really does not work out for her). the 488 GTB would certainly suit my needs better but it would not cure me of the virus, it would only prolong the disease.::::))))))

so i am not going to sell the car after all, instead i shall pick it up in the last week of march if there is no snow in/around vienna.

if the GT3RS is not after my liking i will just sell it without loosing too much money on it. in any case i shall start out with the carbon bucket seats and will try to swap them for more comfy seats if really necessary. the roll cage will be taken out and put on storage before i pick up the car from the dealership.

the ferrari bug will stay dormant for 2-3 years:::))))

cheers peterSmiley 4