Grant:
Ziggy:
Grant:
WAY:

I wonder which is a better car to drive in the mountains and on the road, in terms of fun and feel. I suspect the Spyder may even win here. 

I have a friend who is a motoring journalist and he owns a GT4 and was able to drive the Spyder on the launch.  He agreed with you and found the Spyder more entertaining on the road (GT4 better on the track).  Biggest difference (besides the roof) was the narrower tires with street compound - less grip but more entertaining than GT4.

Isn't it exactly what Futch reported several months ago too? Smiley

I think Futch might've been comparing 987 Spyder (sounds like he is looking for one), while other guy was talking about 981 Spyder.  My memory could be wrong...

No I was indeed talking about the 981. It's simple physics, less grip = better on the track, less fun on the road. 

This is the reason why I sold my GT4 (along with the poor steering and gear ratios that are too long), it's grip to power ratio is way too high. And because the gears are so long, you can only unsettle the car in first gear on mountain roads. Shame as chassis is sublime. So I was indeed looking for a 981 Spyder but realised the gearing will be just as bad (all in the name of reduced official consumption figures, so sad...) and the steering feedback will be also poor. 

So yes I'm actually buying a nice 987 Spyder, even less weight, sublime steering, good ratio, and low grip, more my kind of car. 

Porsche's latest high performance cars have too much grip to be enjoyed on the road, that is why I am also seeling my GT3RS, the RS4.0 is so much better on the road it's embarassing for the 991. I put them both on the scale too and in the real word, same specs (clubsport, leather, aircon, PCM, etc.), the 997 is 1412kg and the 991 1500kg!!! for the same power, you do the maths...

And of course the RS4.0 has much less grip than the new car (aero and mechanical).

Exactly the same issue than the GT4/ 981 and 987 Spyder. Better on the track, less fun on the road. I do lots of trackdays but ultimately I drive my cars 80% on the road so the choice for me is easy.

On top of that there is the choice of coupe vs roadster but that's another story and more down to tastes of course.