Lars997:

@Gnil - we just had a GL550 as a rental for our 4 week US trip last Oct/Nov. 

I had to say, that I almost bought one 2 years ago (instead of the SRT). I really like the appearance and the space of the car. The car is very smooth to ride, the engine was powerful enough. Certainly, not like the SRT but therefore much more smooth. BUT - after 4 weeks I couldn't wait to get back in my SRT. The SRT drives like a sports car. For us the Jeep is the main family car, so I have some fun when driving the family trips! Also - there are many things I love on the SRT - Appearance, Engine, Sound System (sounds better than the Burmester in the Cayenne IMO), Seats (never had back pain in it). Only thing I would love different - the lower dash-part is hard plastic, while all the other parts are wrapped in Alcantara/Leather. This plastic should be either soft-coated or also in Leather. But this is the only down!

Would I buy a GLS - probably not. Why? After 4 weeks I was bored of it. There have been many tiny details I wasn't happy with it. It all comes down to some things I don't like in any kind of Mercedes - seats (after 1 hour it feels horrible), steering feel (all Mercedes feel spongy). Entertainment and Navigation - just odd to use (btw same in my SLS - but there I don't really care), etc. After all - I'm happy I had the chance to drive the car for 4 weeks and knowing I will never buy one.  

With three kids you might want to have one of the big ones - this leaves you with GLS, Range Rover or Q7. I said it in one of the other posts - the Q7 is a great car (friend owns one) - but you have to like the appearance. In your case I would make sure to test-ride a Range Rover (the proper one, not the Sport, not the Disco). 

Good luck with your decision.

I had the same impression with the GL350 . I felt old just by sitting in it Smiley . And I agree on the seat . Not comfortable . My wife also did not find them confortable . 

I did not look at the Range Rover as I have ruled it out as that one is really too big . But I will check the exact dimensions to see . 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS