4trac:
Lars997:

Yep - by look the 4 wheeler is much better. Just never been a fan of driving it. The front feels much lighter on the 2 wheeler and it feels much more "Porscheristic". However - I guess it is time to get the 4-runner from now on. Too many things changed in the Porsche evolution, so buying the 4-runner over the 2-runner is just a logical step

That makes me wonder - if you accept the 4wd as this logical step anyway, and are not that keen on the turbo-ization of the 911, then are some buyers more likely to more seriously look at the base R8 (don't know how Eur prices compare with a typically optioned C4S)? 

I just say - the classic Porsche feel (and I already can feel that in my 356 Speedster) is a light front end, a heavy rear with power from behind. The 2wd has all of that, the 4wd is just to heavy in the front and traction comes from the front. But - the car gets from model to model more balanced, my 991 - I never really liked much, it felt like driving a Mercedes C Class or a BMW 3 and not like a Porsche. The car is way too perfect, too precise and way too balanced. With the new generation the NA is gone, so what I'm saying - seeing this evolution the next logical step is to buy a 4wd. If I sacrifice all the lightness and sportiness of a sports car and I accept to buy "perfect luxury" than I go also for the last step and buy a 4wd.

The R8 is a different story. At least in Germany the image is very weak. It is an Audi and we discussed this many times, an Audi is a VW and that means by word the car for the folks. So it doesn't come with the premium image. It is a solid car, but the brand is not luxurious at all. So I know I step on many feets of some Audi fans, but we discussed this over and over again with friends and car enthusiasts- before any of them would buy an R8 they would go for any other luxury sports car. A R8 V10 is from the price very close to a Lambo Gallardo or Huracan, so why would you seriously buy an R8? If you go for used cars it might be a different story as you will get hell of a car for relatively good money. 

Second - the 911 buyers buy the 911 because it is a Porsche. 90% don't care about speed, better performance, light front ends, better torque or whatever. They just want to buy Luxury. They buy some emotions, feeling young and fast, feeling like "being able to afford", etc. Again my previous point - you want a Luxury car and not a car of the folks and you want to show it. So I don't think that a R8 ever will compete with a Porsche. The buyer segment is very specific (and don't think about us here in RT - we are all car enthusiasts and probably buy out of different reasons).