Carlos from Spain:

Seems posible that the next GT3 may have a turbocharged engine I really find it difficult to believe that they would use the Carrera engine on the next GT3. If that were the case I don't think they would call it a GT3 but rather it would a sportier version of the Carrera line, like the rumored 991 R. But if there is one thing that has always differentiated the GT3's is that it had a different track-racing oriented engine than the carrera. so that doesn't make sense, would be a very tough thing to sell by Porsche marketing department to GT3 customers IMO.

I didn't mean it would just be the Carrera S motor with more boost.  I'd still expect dry sump and other significant upgrades.   I believe the current 9,000 rpm GT3 motor and 2.7L base Boxster share the same motor (9A1) in the same sort of general sense.  

Aside from that and same displacement, a Turbo GT3 motor would still be special.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi