Whoopsy:
Herbaliser:

That's exactly what I've been saying in the last couple of posts. Torque for the lower speed acceleration, HP for the higher speed acceleration. And since the 0-200 time of the facelifted Turbo S is improved by just 0.2 seconds or so, we shouldn't expect wonders in the 200-300 acceleration time. And slashing 4 seconds from 200 to 300 with just 20hp as promised by RC is nothing short of wonder.

Not even counting the 918, but Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S are pretty much the most optimized cars in the world when measuring from 0-something. It's really hard to find gains there, like the 100m sprint in the Olympics, hundredth of a second is all that is to gain. It's a careful management of power output vs the traction available.

It is much easier to find gains on the upper speed range, traction is not an issue so the max output of an engine can be put to good use. I would not be surprised if the new Turbo S is limiting the power output in the lower gears to preserve traction and hence the tiny little gain from 0-200, but when the full output can be utilized from 200-300, it can really make a difference compared with the old car.

The acceleration of the Turbo S is amazing up to 60km/h or so. After that it's numbers are absolutely standard for a 560hp car with all wheel drive weighting 1600kg. Yes, it is hard to find gains in the 0-60 or even 0-100 time. But give it some more HP and the 0-200 time will improve easily. It's just that Porsche is cheap on HP these days. They are squeezing money out of the top 911 range like never before. Why? Because they can.

Don't get me wrong, I am in my second 991 Turbo S and I wouldn't change it for any other car in the world for daily driver but the reality is that it is a 560 (580)hp car and accelerates accordingly. If Porsche had made it 620hp we wouldn't have this debates and would only complain about the exhaust note :)

If the new Turbo S is a 25s car I'd be very happy to wear a T-shirt with an apology: "Sorry RC, you were right." Only that I am not Chriss Harris and no one would care :)