Kobalt:

They are not sold out until people signed contracts. No contracts can be signed until the information about the car is released from PAG. Most likely the information will reach the dealers just before Geneva 2016.

But to answer your question: It can be so simple as the driver wasn't allowed to leave the car the way he did and he is afraid of getting into trouble,

They are sold out in the sense that production is limited, most Porsche dealers get only one car and most dealers already have more than one customer signed up for this car. 

If you have good contacts to your dealer and/or Porsche, I am sure you can make it happen (to get one) but otherwise, good luck. It won't be easy, even the 918 VIP program won't be honored in this case, which actually tells how limited production is.

I wish I had the money, this is really a dream car for me but I made a few bad car choices in the past and I have no money left for another expensive toy right now. Smiley My dealer claims that I could sell it after a 6 months holding period but the risk it too high for me, sorry. Also, I would want to keep it. Smiley Smiley

Aside from the limited edition thing, this car is very special. A regular 911 with GT3 tech, a dream come true for many. If Porsche decides to keep this a one time thing, the car will have a huge collector's value. if not, well...depends. Look at the Sport Classic, nothing really special about it, a Carrera S with powerkit engine but the prices for these cars have gone up lately (after actually being at levels below MSRP).

What is surprising: 50 years anniversary models seem to be in high demand and prices achieved are quite impressive. My dealer just sold a used one for close to 180k EUR and this car didn't even have the powerkit option (which is standard for the North America market). Why? Apparently there are customers who just became 50 years old and they buy this car as some sort of anniversary gift and reminder. I don't get it but... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)