JoeRockhead:
RC:

I agree. The German transport minister will visit the US and talk to US politicians about the VW scandal. Yes, VW has cheated and will have to pay but bringing them close to bankruptcy and/or causing thousands of employees to lose their jobs will stir up emotions in Germany and this cannot be good for anyone, especially now with the TTIP negotiations and the already damaging NSA scandal.
I think most US politicians are aware of this, at least I hope so.

I don't really think that US politicians care about what Germany thinks, and I'm not sure why you think they would.Smiley

This is where you are wrong. Kerry was also already in Berlin this week and discussed this matter with Steinmeier (officially, this was about Moscow's involvement in Syria and the current Palestinian/Israeli conflict). VW is not just a company in Germany and damaging the German/US relationship even further would hurt national security of the US, you shouldn't underestimate the current situation. Also the US wants to put new nuclear weapons on German soil and there is of course TTIP and other treaties which could be hurt by a worsening relationship.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)